So Your Student Is in College
So, your student is in Art & Design College…
The top 12 questions “to ask” your son or daughter:
1. Are you going to class? Skipping class is the #1 reason why students fail.
2. Are you studying at least 20 hours per week? College is a full-time job. You should be in class, studying and doing homework 40 hours per week.
3. Are you sleeping and eating? Lack of sleep and food leads to illness, decreases quality of work and increases stress and frustration. Sleep at least 6 hours a night and eat 3 meals a day. Get some exercise and fresh air daily. Stay healthy in order to do your honest best.
4. Are you scheduling your social time? Everyone needs down time, but students need to learn to manage their social time. A good practice is to do homework first, and socialize after. Separate your study area from your social area. Use the library, and the Learning Resource Center and open studio classrooms to do homework. Use the Res Hall, your home or your apartment as a place to socialize, relax and sleep.
5. Did you receive a 4-week report? First-year students will receive a progress report via their MIAD e-mail. Students only get a letter if an instructor is concerned about their progress.
6. How were your midterm grades? All students will receive midterm evaluations noting their progress in each class. The midterms grades will be distributed via e-mail.
7. Are you getting involved in campus activities? Getting involved in campus activities is a great way to make friends and practice leadership skills.
8. Have you met with your MIAD mentor? Each student is matched with a mentor. Your mentor will help you get connected to campus resources and get involved in the MIAD community.
9. Are you starting your assignments early? The unexpected happens. You get sick or you need help with your computer. Start assignments with plenty of time for the UNEXPECTED. If you are having problems starting work, managing your assignments and time, seek assistance from MIAD’s Learning Resource Center, Rm R100.
10. Have you seen your advisor? Each first-year student is assigned an advisor who is ready to listen and to help students resolve academic questions and issues. Students are informed of who their advisor is during Orientation. Foundation students meet their advisor during Orientation, again at the fourth week, again at midterms in October and then again in November to plan for Spring Semester registration.
11. Have you gone to your instructor’s office hours? Instructors like to help students and are glad to know if a student has a question or concern that they can address. Do not hesitate to visit the instructor during office hours. Also, if you are sick and miss a class, e-mail the instructor. If an assignment is due, learn how to get the work to the instructor. Seek out the instructor during office hours to learn what you missed when absent and be sure to e-mail if you have to miss class.
12. Are you going to the Learning Resource Center? Tutoring enhances everyone’s learning! Whether you are getting B’s but want A’s, or you are struggling with writing, seek assistance from professionals. The MIAD tutors provide individualized assistance with writing, reading assignments, figuring out how to complete an assignment, research, managing time and transitioning to college. The Learning Resource Center is located inside the library, Rm. RL100.
Jennifer Crandall, Associate Dean of Students
MIAD Gallery at The Ave celebrates opening
The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) celebrates its first offsite gallery during its grand opening on April 6, 2023 from 6 – 8 p.m. MIAD invites the public to attend the event and to explore the new Gallery at The Ave, located at 301 W. Wisconsin Ave in The Avenue near the 3rd Street Market Hall.
First-Year Exhibition 2023 winners announced
Four winners and three honorable mentions were selected at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design’s (MIAD) First-Year Experience Student Exhibition opening reception on Friday, March 24, 2023. Renato Umali, Mariah Tate Klemens and Gabrielle Banzhaf, the three jurors, commended all the participating students for their strong work.
Communication Design senior lands Nike Internship
Catherine Currie ’23 (Communication Design), a senior at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD), was selected for the highly competitive graphic design internship at Nike. The internship will take place over 10 weeks this summer at Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon.
MIAD Defines 2023: Day of play
For the 2023 iteration of MIAD Defines, the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design dedicated Tuesday, March 21 to playing. With the aim to connect, converse and learn across majors, years and disciplines, this year’s MIAD Defines was a resounding success.
Peter Barrickman selected as NSP: Fine Arts full-time faculty
Following a national search, Peter Barrickman has been selected as the newest full-time faculty member in New Studio Practice (NSP): Fine Arts at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD). An internationally recognized artist, Barrickman also co-founded Mazzzagine, a publication dedicated to supporting artists and fostering collaboration.