Artist Gallery Talk Series
Tuesday evenings at 6:30 p.m. through November 22
"Style, Innovation and Vision"
Thursday, November 10 at 6:30 p.m.
A series of gallery talks have been taking place at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design for both of the college's major fall openings.
"Generation Next" runs through December 10, 2011 in the Frederick Layton Gallery. This exhibition features a diverse group of young artists whose talents identify them as the generation who will make the next significant contribution to the cultural life of the region.
All five artists will participate in an artist gallery talk series on Tuesday evenings. All of the talks will start at 6:30 p.m.
- October 25 – Evan Baden - exhibiting photographs from his series, The Illuminati, which illustrate the paradoxes of the plugged-in generation's use of technology.
- November 1 – Emily Belknap '07 (Integrated Studio Arts) - exhibiting a wall installation that is an aerial view of a city block and the abstract landscapes humans create through constructed barriers.
- November 8 – Sofia Arnold - exhibiting paintings that depict a fantastic parallel world and the complex relationships humans have with their surroundings and other beings.
- November 15 – Sarah Gail Luther - exhibiting a mixed-media installation that provides the backdrop for a live performance.
- November 22 – Melissa Cooke - exhibiting large-format graphite drawings that explore themes of beauty, fantasy, violence and identity, often with the artist as the central subject.
'Style, Innovation and Vision'
"Style, Innovation and Vision: Six Perspectives of a Design Collection" opened October 7, 2011 and runs through March 1, 2012. Six guest curators from widely differing backgrounds were invited to study MIAD's significant design catalog and create their own mini-exhibitions from it. Their unique perspectives form this year's major exhibition in MIAD's unique Brooks Stevens Gallery.
Four of the six guest curators participated in the gallery discussion on Thursday, November 10.
- Mel Buchanan, Mae E. Demmer Assistant Curator of 20th-Century Design, Milwaukee Art Museum
- John Caruso, MIAD Professor and industrial designer
- Victoria Matranga, author and design historian for the International Housewares Association; independent museum consultant, author and lecturer
- Ryan Ramos '07 (Industrial Design), Lead Industrial Designer at GE Healthcare, Chair for IDSA's Wisconsin Chapter
Click here for more information about these exhibits, and other fall openings.
Top image: Evan Baden, "Lila with Nintendo DS" from The Illuminati series, photography
Bottom image: John Caruso selected this Capitol Stereo record player for his exhibition in "Style, Innovation and Vision."