The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) features international artist-designer Jaime Hayon at the MIAD Creativity Series, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 6 – 7:30 p.m. at MIAD’s 4th Floor Raw Space. Hayon’s presentation, “Form Follows Function, and Then What?” is free and open the public. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Seating is first-come, first-served.
In the past 10 years, Jaime Hayon has emerged as an artist-designer at the forefront of an energetic new wave of contemporary design. Hayon’s public presentation, which will be followed by a Q&A session, is part of a two-day residency at MIAD and the Milwaukee Art Museum, engaging with MIAD students studying various disciplines.
This MIAD Creativity Series event is generously supported by the Bert L. & Patricia S. Steigleder Charitable Trust. Additional support provided by Tim & Sue Frautschi.
Hayon has had major exhibitions at galleries and museums worldwide, and his latest exhibition “Jaime Hayon: Technicolor” is on view through March 25, 2018 at the Milwaukee Art Museum. Hayon’s visit is co-hosted by the Milwaukee Art Museum. The museum hosts an Artist Gallery Talk with Jaime Hayon, February 14 at 2 p.m.
About Jaime Hayon:
- Lives in Madrid, Spain and has offices in Italy, Spain and Japan.
- Studied Industrial Design in Madrid and Paris.
- Designed lighting fixtures, furniture, accessories, a wristwatch collection, footwear, menswear and more for iconic brands such as Baccarat, Fritz Hansen, & Tradition, Magis, Swarovski, Whittman, Cassina and Arflex.
- Directed the design department at Fabrica in Italy until 2003.
- Wallpaper named him to its Design Power List, as one of the 100 most influential creators today.
- Time lauded him as one of the “most creative icons” of our time.
- Received numerous awards including Best Installation by Icon Magazine, the Elle Deco International Award 2006 and 2012, and Elle Deco Germany: Best International Designer 2008, among others.
- Launched a new menswear fashion label, Jijibaba, in September 2017.
- Currently working on interiors for leading hotels, restaurants and retail establishments worldwide.
About the MIAD Creativity Series:
The MIAD Creativity Series brings distinctive and internationally renowned creatives to Milwaukee from a broad spectrum of the visual arts to enrich the experiences of MIAD students while engaging the community in new ways of thinking about, and appreciating, the arts and the world of design.
Photo credit: Photo courtesy of Hayonstudio.