MIAD students sweep the United Adworkers Student Showcase awards
Each year, United Adworkers hosts The Ninety Nine Adworkers Showcase featuring the best advertising work in Wisconsin. This year, MIAD Communication Design students and recent alumni won all five Student Showcase awards, including the Gold (first place), Runner Up and Featured awards.
The following MIAD students and alumni, listed in order from first place through featured, received awards:
- Amanda Levinaite ’20 created an app that helps partners overcome communication challenges to better their relationship.
- Berea Ames ’20 designed a clothing line to help children with sensory processing issues.
- Kelsey Robinson ’21 designed campaign materials in support of the popular Rockabilly Chili Fundraiser for WMSE, a local radio station.
- Mallory Kubenik ’20 designed a website to help adults understand medication labels through the use of iconography to simplify medication instructions.
- Ori Baez ’20 created a card system to help young girls build confidence and unlearn body dysmorphia.
This competition is highly competitive and a landmark event in the Milwaukee advertising industry. Student submissions were judged by the Adworkers Board of Directors.
MIAD Gallery at The Ave celebrates opening
The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) celebrates its first offsite gallery during its grand opening on April 6, 2023 from 6 – 8 p.m. MIAD invites the public to attend the event and to explore the new Gallery at The Ave, located at 301 W. Wisconsin Ave in The Avenue near the 3rd Street Market Hall.
First-Year Exhibition 2023 winners announced
Four winners and three honorable mentions were selected at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design’s (MIAD) First-Year Experience Student Exhibition opening reception on Friday, March 24, 2023. Renato Umali, Mariah Tate Klemens and Gabrielle Banzhaf, the three jurors, commended all the participating students for their strong work.
Communication Design senior lands Nike Internship
Catherine Currie ’23 (Communication Design), a senior at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD), was selected for the highly competitive graphic design internship at Nike. The internship will take place over 10 weeks this summer at Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon.
MIAD Defines 2023: Day of play
For the 2023 iteration of MIAD Defines, the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design dedicated Tuesday, March 21 to playing. With the aim to connect, converse and learn across majors, years and disciplines, this year’s MIAD Defines was a resounding success.
Peter Barrickman selected as NSP: Fine Arts full-time faculty
Following a national search, Peter Barrickman has been selected as the newest full-time faculty member in New Studio Practice (NSP): Fine Arts at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD). An internationally recognized artist, Barrickman also co-founded Mazzzagine, a publication dedicated to supporting artists and fostering collaboration.