Milwaukee’s signature charitable event raised more than $303,000 in support of scholarships on May 5, the highest amount in its six-year history. More than 320 guests joined event co-chairs Matt and Brenda Levatich to ‘Take Flight’ in celebration of MIAD and the 96% of MIAD students who receive financial aid to help them become the creative leaders who drive our economy.
Among the new experiences enjoyed by the event’s exuberant guests was the opportunity to buy hundreds of works by student artists and designers.
Images from the evening can be viewed on flickr.
Three students captivated the crowd as they thanked donors on behalf of MIAD’s student body:
- Jeannette Ralyea ’12 (Industrial Design), an international award winner for the Visio Guides products who recently received 24 job offers.
- First-year student Joshua Christensen ’15 (Printmaking), a second-generation MIAD student and student mentor who said, “through MIAD’s unique first-year curriculum I have learned to express myself fully in my art, and in my life.”
- Fadwa Abulughod ’13 (Communication Design), who shared her journey as a first-generation college student whose scholarships to MIAD’s Pre-College and undergraduate programs provided a haven for professional and personal acceptance and development.
Reiterating his and his wife’s strong belief in MIAD scholarships, Matt Levatich said that “MIAD students tend to come from our region and stay in our region, so we benefit as they inspire our community with the creativity that makes Milwaukee brighter, cooler and more vital for us all.”
Levatich also thanked Sandy Williams for his “stewardship, vision and dedicated leadership,” as he concludes his tenure as Board Chair in June, while lauding founding Creative Fusion Chair and incoming Board Chair Madeleine Lubar.
Guests also experienced the art and design processes, while enjoying fine cuisine by Chef Scott Shully, live and silent auctions of fine art and design, the 2012 Senior Exhibition and a final destination of dancing in the 4th floor “Lounge.”
Sponsors included: Presenting Sponsors Harley-Davidson Motor Company, and Jason and Milsco, A Unit of Jason; Contributing Sponsors Madeleine & David Lubar Charitable Fund and Weyco Group, Inc.; Colorful Patrons Anderson Seal, Inc., BMO Harris, Mortara Instrument, Inc., Northwestern Mutual, Robert W. Baird & Co., Sterling Aviation, U.S. Bank National Association and Tom Wilson & Patrick Crimmings.
- View Julie’s story
- Why Support MIAD?
- Past Event Photos
- Download the PDF of the 2012 Auction Catalog
- Download Fadwa Abulughod’s remarks
- Download Xavier Ruffin’s remarks from 2010