Define your journey. Design your path.
Designing your path through MIAD’s high school Design Internship program is more than just introducing students to careers in design. It is about a series of opportunities that lead to something more. Developed to create pathways for high school students into creative careers, the Design Internship at MIAD is a free, year-long program for motivated high school students interested in design as a career option.
Structured around accessibility and repeat contact, students learn foundational skills in various design workshops from MIAD faculty and are immersed in a two-week, paid internship at one of eight professional partners collaborating with MIAD to explore hands-on projects and gain industry experience. With tuition-free access to MIAD’s Summer and Weekend Pre-College courses, interns may select from a variety of courses that range from introductory to advanced, investigative explorations. Fall and Spring mentorship opportunities provide additional access to be a part of the MIAD community and experience Wisconsin’s premiere art and design school, and gain the tools necessary to begin to design a path from high school to college to career.
Our professional partners for 2023-2024 include:
- Core Creative
- Engberg Anderson Architects
- Hanson Dodge
- Maker LLC
- Plunkett Raysich Architects
Our community partner for the 2023-2024 Design Internship program is the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Milwaukee Brighter Futures Program.
The yearlong Design Internship Program includes:
- An information session on February 11, 2023 at MIAD, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- A program orientation on April 29, 2023 at MIAD, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- An afterschool project at MIAD with MIAD faculty in May 2023
- A two-week paid internship, June 20-30, 2023
- Free tuition to MIAD’s Summer Pre-College program in July 2023
- Fall orientation on August 26, 2023
- Free tuition to Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 Pre-College courses
- Mentorship with MIAD students and/or alumni
- An end of program celebration in April 2024
The program began in response to the Greater Equity 2030 challenge, an initiative which recognizes a lack of diversity in Milwaukee’s creative industries. As a shared interest among all partners, special consideration will be given to BIPOC students in support of increasing diversity in Milwaukee’s creative workforce.
Applications for the 2023-2024 Design Internship program are now closed. The application will open for 2024-2025 applicants in fall 2023. For questions, please contact email@example.com.