Maintaining Your Visa Status

Entering the U.S. to begin a program of study at MIAD is an exciting time! During your studies here on campus, please be sure to "maintain your visa status" by following these simple guidelines established by the U.S. federal government.

  1. Make sure that your immigration documents are valid and unexpired.
    • A passport valid at least six months into the future
    • An I-94 card marked "F-1 D/S"
    • An unexpired I-20 that has been stamped by an immigration inspector or activated by an OISP advisor
    • A valid F-1 visa ( for re-entry to the U.S. only)
  2. Register for and complete a full course load of 12 credits every semester.
    • All students are required to make normal, full-time progress toward degree completion.
  3. Do not begin off-campus employment without written authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or the OISP.
    • Full-time students in F-1 status may accept on-campus employment of no more than 20 hours per week during the school year, or full-time during vacation periods.
    • Most forms of off-campus employment require government authorization through USCIS, processing time varies but can take several months.
  4. Notify OISP of your change of address within 10 days of a move.
    • F-1 students must maintain a local U.S. address and an international address in their SEVIS record, which is entered into the system by OIPS.
  5. Apply for an extension of your I-20 before your document expires, if you need more time to complete your program.

Maintaining status in the United States is your individual responsibility. Keep current about the latest changes in immigration regulations by reading e-mail messages sent from OIPS to your e-mail account and reading this website for updates.  You are also very welcome to stop by the office at anytime!

circle | square | triangle