Applying for a Passport

A valid passport is one of the key immigration documents all international students are required to present at the U.S. consulate in order to apply for an F-1 student visa stamp. These two documents, the passport and the visa, along with the I-20 document are required documents to apply for entry into the U.S. upon arrival at any international airport. The I-20 is a form that MIAD prepares for all admitted students who have demonstrated that they have the financial resources available to study at MIAD.

To obtain a passport from your home country's government, contact your country's passport office for information about application and fees. In most cases, passport processing can take several months, please apply well in advance of the time you plan to apply for a visa stamp. MIAD recommends that you apply for a passport as far in advance as possible, ideally up to one year ahead of the time you plan to apply for admission.

Please also note that the visa stamp application process can take place only after you have received the passport. Application appointments and/or visa processing can take several months at some consulate posts. Please contact the designated consulate for your city or region or refer to this visa processing timetable tool maintained by the U.S. State Department. For information about applying for a student visa, click here.

What is a passport?
Your passport is the identity document issued by your country's government permitting you to leave and re-enter your own country, and apply for entry to other countries. Any person wishing to enter the U.S. must show a valid passport to apply for a visa or to seek admission at a U.S. port of entry.

Passport Requirement Exemptions
Citizens of the following countries/territories are exempt. Canadian citizens and some Canadian landed immigrants entering from within the Western Hemisphere, citizens of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands who have proceeded in direct and continuous transit to the U.S., and British citizens who reside in Bermuda or Canada entering from within the Western Hemisphere. Exemptions are subject to change, please contact the U.S. Consulate or embassy in your country for the most current information.

Validity Requirements
At all times, your passport must be valid for a minimum of at least six months from the date of expiration. If you need to renew your passport during your stay in the U.S., contact your home country's consulate located in the U.S. Most are located in Washington, D.C., New York, NY or Chicago, IL. For contact information, visit the U.S. State Department Foreign Consular Listing.

circle | square | triangle