Black History Month events at MIAD
February is Black History Month! While you shouldn’t wait for a specific day or month to learn about and explore Black history, now is as good a time as any. Black history is American history, and it is world history. The past informs our present and can help us to see the future, one where all people are valued and shown the dignities they deserve. Today, and every day, we honor the people, places and events that have shaped this world.
There are several events and programs planned over the next four weeks:
Black Creatives Series: A selection of 25 Black artists and designers are featured alongside a piece of their work on postcards found throughout the building. The cards are designed to surface overlooked persons in the larger art history canon. Find the cards on campus throughout the month!
Black Lives Common Read, Thursday, February 18, during Common Hour
MIAD students, faculty and staff will gather to discuss two articles from YES! Magazines Black Lives issue: “The Great White Heist” and “Toward a Cure: Cities Declare Racism a Public Health Crisis.” A small number of print copies are available; please contact Richard Anderson-Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Google Meet meeting link was emailed to students, faculty and staff.
Weekly Giveaways for Students: There are different prizes each week! Students can fill out the entry form (sent to Students via their MIAD email) to enter for the weeks they want. Winners will be selected on Thursdays and notified by MIAD email.
- Week 1: All three graphic novels in the new series March about Congressman John Lewis’ life and legacy
- Week 2: An adjustable cap with text on the front. Options – Black is Beautiful, Black and Blessed, or My Ancestors Would Be Proud
- Week 3: One of four inspiring journals from Shea Butter & Intuition, a small Black, woman-owned business.
- Week 4: Book Haul! Win one of 5 books focused on Black communities and creatives.
Check out these additional resources for Black History Month events in Milwaukee:
- Milwaukee Neighborhood News Services list of Black History Month events in the city
- Milwaukee Film’s Black History Month: Four Weeks of Film, Culture and Conversation: MIAD is a community partner with Milwaukee Film’s Black Arts & Culture short films. Learn more.